Every Wednesday, El Paso Running will utilize a point system to highlight El Paso’s top cross country female runners.
The system is as follows: In a race of less than 150 runners, first place gets 10 points, second gets 9 points all the way down to and 10th place which gets 1 point. For meets with between 151 to 300 runners, double points will be rewarded meaning 20 points for first, 19 for second all the way down to 1 point for 20th. For every additional 150 runners, another 10 runners will be included in the points.
For those who like raw times, we also list the Top 25 5K/3-mile boys and girls race times and the meets and dates that they occurred.
For questions, videos and photos email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This week’s schedule
Americas Invitational: 8 a.m., Oct. 9 at the Socorro Activities Center. Americas, Socorro, Eastlake, Ysleta, Del Valle, YWLA, Coronado
Cathedral/Harmony Invitational: 8 a.m. Oct. 10 at Veterans Park.Harmony, Cathedral, Chapin, Parkland, Anthony, Bowie, Jefferson
Horizon Invitational: 8 a.m., Oct. 10 at Horizon High School. Horizon, El Dorado, Clint, Riverside, Fabens, Burges, Canutillo.
Austin/El Paso Invitational: 8 a.m. Oct. 10 at Skyline Park. Austin, El Dorado, Irvin, Andress, Valle Verde, Loretto, El Paso High.
Parra Law XC Classic: 8 a.m. Oct. 10 at Vista Country Club. Eastwood, Montwood, Bel Air, Hanks, San Eli, Franklin, Pebble Hills, Mt.View, Tornillo.
1. Franklin: Franklin took the first seven spots in route to a perfect score (15 points) at its own invitational at the Don Haskins Recreational Center. Franklin was again led by Eva Jess (first, 18:16.91), Ally Little was second in 18:39.33, Alyssa Laspada third in 19:14.63, Jenna Saunders was fourth in 19:43.31; Jordan Torres (fifth, 19:56.30), Michele Paillard (sixth, 20:04.58) and Sofia Camacho (seventh, 20:27.05). Amanda Sotelo was ninth for Franklin (21:06.85). Franklin, which is ranked No. 5 in Class 6A by MileSplitTx, will race at the Parra Law XC Classic at Vista Hills Country Club.
2. Montwood: The Rams rested last week. The team will resume action at the Parra Law XC Classic at Vista Hills Country Club.
3. Eastwood: Eastwood placed fourth in the high school Championship Race at the 13th annual Desert Twilight Cross Country Meet on Friday night with 132 points. Amber Martin lead the Troopers, placing 13th in 20:40.65. Junior Lauren Walls-Portillo was 10th in the girl’s high school Sweepstakes Division finishing in 18:14.62. The team will race at the Parra Law XC Classic at Vista Hills Country Club.
4. Jefferson: The Foxes were second at the Franklin Invitational at the Don Haskins Recreation Center, scoring 62 points. Crystal Peterson was eighth in 20:45.57 and Monique Correa was 10th in 21:09.61. The team is scheduled to race the Cathedral/Harmony Invitational at Veterans Park.
5. Coronado: The T-Birds won the Canutillo/Anthony Invitational at Canutillo Middle Sc hool scoring 45 points. Kyra Walker was second (21:12.59) and Alexa Lawrence was third (21:26.33) to pace Coronado. The team will race at the Americas Invitational at the Socorro Student Activities Complex on Friday.
6. Canutillo. The Eagles did not run a full team at its own invitational at Canutillo Middle School but they did have three runners in the top 10 – Ivy Lara, (21:59.18), Natalie Rivera, (22:02.78) and Vanessa Preciado (22:03.36). The Eagles will run at the Horizon Invitational at Horizon High School.
7. El Paso High: The Tigers move up three spots after winning the 2.9-mile Eastlake Invitational at the Socorro Student Activities Complex with 20 points. El Paso High placed four girls in the top 10 – Alissa Kennedy (third, 19:55.4), Jezarae Valenzuela (fourth, 19:59.9), Shayla Cohen Jones (fifth, 20:02.8) and Vivian Shaheen (tenth, 22:15.1). The team will race at the Austin/El Paso Invitational at Skyline Park.
8. Tornillo. The Coyotes continue to improve with each week, winning the Loretto Invitational at Veterans Park. Kylene Elias won in 20:19.07 to lead the Coyotes to a team championship with 32 points. Including Elias, Tornillo had four runners in the top 10 – Nat Escajeda (seventh, 21:46.43), Olivia Garcia (eighth, 21:51.64) and Brianna Ibarra (tenth, 22:16.78). The team will race at the Parra Law XC Classic at Vista Hills Country Club.
9. Hanks: The Knights drop two spots after its second-place finish at the Eastlake Invitational at the Socorro Student Activities Complex. Hanks scored 37 points and had three runners in the top 10 including runner-up Mia Rivera (19:40:00.0), Madison Spencer (seventh, 20:47.0) and Jade Baca (ninth, 21:19.3). The team will be challenged at the Parra Law XC Classic at Vista Hills Country Club.
10. Bel Air. The Highlanders drop a spot after challenging themselves at the 13th annual Desert Twilight Cross Country Meet. The team was 12th in the high school Championship Race with 132 points. Abigail Murillo finished Abagail Murillo 23rd in 21:00.46. The team race at the Parra Law XC Classic at Vista Hills Country Club.
Dropped out: None.
On the brink: Eastlake, Loretto, Pebble Hills.
Top times (5K/3Mile)
1, Lauren Portillo-Walls, Eastwood, 18:14.62 (Desert Twilight, 10/2).
2, Eva Jess, Franklin, 18:16.91 (Haskins Center, 10/3).
3, Ally Little, Franklin, 18:39.33 (Haskins Center, 10/3).
4, Angelina Lujan-Marrufo, Parkland, 19:12.42 (Veterans Park, 9/26).
5, Alyssa Laspada, Franklin, 19:14.63 (Haskins Rec. Center, 10/3).
6, Jenna Saunders, Franklin, 19:43.31 (Haskins Rec. Center, 10/3).
7, Jordan Torres, Franklin 19:56.30 (Haskins Rec. Center, 10/3).
8, Michele Paillard, Franklin, 20:04.58 (Haskins Rec. Center, 10/3).
9, Kylene Elias, Tornillo, 20:19.07 (Veterans Park, 10/3).
10, Carolina Zarrabal, Pebble Hills, 20:23.25 (Veterans Park, 10/3).
11, Andrea Villagomez, Horizon, 20:26.27 (Veterans Park, 9/19).
12, Sofia Camacho, Franklin 20:27.05 (Haskins Rec. Center, 10/3).
13, Victoria Ovalles, Eastwood, 20:31.75 (Veterans Park, 10/3).
14, Kassandra Jimenez, Montwood, 20:33.90. (SAC, 9/19).
15, Mia Rivera, Hanks, 20:36.30 (Del Valle, 9/19).
16, Chondra Espino, Canutillo, 20:36.59 (Veterans Park, 9/26).
17, Adalia Olmos, Eastwood, 20:39.25 (Del Valle, 9/19).
18, Amber Martin, Eastwood, 20:40.65 (Desert Twilight, 10/2).
19, Monique Correa, Jefferson, 20:42.30 (Veterans Park, 9/26).
20, Isabella Medina, Americas 20:43.50 (Veterans Park, 9/19).
21, Crystal Peterson, Jefferson, 20:45.57 (Haskins Rec. Center, 10/3).
22, Abigail Murillo, Bel Air, 20:50.88 (Del Valle, 9/19).
23, Kyra Walker, Coronado, 20:52.12 (Veterans Park, 9/26).
24, Samantha Ramirez, Socorro, 20:56.46 (Skyline Park, 9/12).
25, Karyme Garcia, Montwood, 20:57.00 (SAC, 9/19).
(number in parenthesis indicate meets won)
1, Eva Jess, Franklin, 40 (4).
1, Angelina Lujan-Marrufo, Parkland, 40 (4).
3, Ally Little, Franklin, 35.
4, Kylene Elias, Tornillo, 30 (3).
5, Alyssa Laspada, Franklin, 28.
6, Abigail Murillo, Bel Air, 25.
6, Mia Rivera, Hanks, 25.
8, Jenna Saunders, Franklin, 24.
9, Andrea Villagomez, Horizon, 23 (1).
10, Kassandra Jimenez, Montwood, 22.
10, Alissa Kennedy, El Paso, 22.
Olivia Garcia, Tornillo, 20.
Lauren Walls-Portillo, Eastwood, 20 (1).
Kyra Walker, Coronado, 19 (1).
Megan Kirtley, Eastlake, 18.
Nat Escajeda, Tornillo, 18.
Sara Armendariz, Bel Air, 17 (1).
Michele Paillard, Franklin, 17.
Jazmine Miranda, Montwood, 16 (1).
Alexa Lawrence, Coronado, 16.
Natalie Rivera, Canutillo, 16.
Crystal Peterson, Jefferson, 16.
Monique Correa, Jefferson, 16.
Britney Martinez, Loretto, 15.
Samantha Ramirez, Socorro, 14.
Morayma Montes, Austin, 14.
Karyme Garcia, Montwood, 13.
Hannah Tellez, Eastwood, 13.
Shayla Cohen Jones, El Paso, 13.
Sofia Camacho, Franklin, 13.
Jordan Torres, Franklin, 12.
Isabella Medina, Americas, 11.
Jelia Lugo, Jefferson, 11.
Rosemary Torres, Bel Air, 10.
Chondra Espino, Canutillo, 9.
Carolina Zarrabal, Pebble Hills, 9.
Ivy Lara, Canutillo, 9.
Adalia Olmos, Eastwood, 8.
Alexa Rangel, Montwood, 8.
Trinity Martinez, Eastwood, 8.
Andrea Castillo, El Paso, 8.
Victoria Ovalles, Eastwood, 8.
Elizabeth Hernandez, Austin 7.
Natalie Espinosa, Montwood, 7.
Desiree Carrillo, Eastwood, 7.
Annette Guzman, Burges, 7.
Jezarae Valenzuela, El Paso High, 7.
Amber Martin, Eastwood, 6
Janice Olivas, Clint, 6.
Madison Spencer, Hanks, 6.
Disany Sandoval, Del Valle, 5.
Natalie Franco, Pebble Hills, 5.
Banah Abdeljaber, Coronado, 5.
Selma Licon, Eastwood, 5.
Wendy Garcia, Tornillo, 5.
Amaryllis Rubalcaba, Eastwood, 5.
Itzel Garcia, Americas, 4.
Jezarae Valenzuela, El Paso, 4.
Valeria Loo-King, Del Valle, 4.
Caryn Hart, Andress, 4.
Vivian Zapata, Clint, 4.
Emilee Antimo, Burges, 4.
Aylin Tepezano, Clint, 3
Irma Munoz, Jefferson, 3.
Maria Hobbs, Loretto, 3.
Mia Vargas, Americas, 3.
Sarah Villaronga, Franklin, 3.
Vanessa Preciado, Canutillo, 3.
Jaquelin Gonzalez, Horizon, 3.
Brianna Ibarra, Tornillo, 3.
Jaslyne Ramirez, Del Valle, 2.
Giselle Rubio, Eastlake, 2.
Eva Asfahani, Coronado, 2.
Jasmine Martinez, Eastwood, 2.
Alexis Vasquez, Eastwood, 2.
Jade Baca, Hanks, 2.
Monica Hagerich, Eastwood, 2.
Amanda Sotelo, Franklin, 2.
Yanitza Olivares, Socorro, 1.
Genisis Guereca, Bel Air, 1.
Lauren Anderson, Americas, 1.
Christina Duncan, Coronado, 1.
Vivian Shaheen, El Paso High, 1.
Iris Baca, Horizon, 1.