Every Wednesday, El Paso Running will utilize a point system to highlight El Paso’s top girls cross country runners.
The system is as follows: In a race of less than 150 runners, first place gets 10 points, second gets 9 points all the way down to 10th place which gets 1 point. For meets with between 150 to 300 runners, double points will be rewarded meaning 20 points for first, 19 for second all the way down to 1 point for 20th. For every additional 150 runners, another 10 runners will be included in the points.
For those who like raw times, we also list the Top 25 girls race times and the meets and dates that they occurred.
For questions, videos and photos email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Franklin: Franklin continues to create its own identity not only in El Paso but in the region. The team narrowly missed out on its third straight state appearance and it appears some serious help is on the way. Junior Alyssa Laspada was the lone runner to represent Franklin at the Class 6A state meet where she placed 62nd in 19:08.1. With Laspada and fellow juniors Sofia Camacho and Michele Paillard and sophomore Abby Barraza returning, the future remains bright.
2. Eastwood: Eastwood finished its team season in fifth place at the Region 1-6A championship. Freshman Adelynn Rodriguez and senior Lauren Walls-Portillo turned in All State performances at the Class 6A division of the state championship. Rodriguez finished seventh in 17:49.2 and Walls-Portillo was 10th in 18:10.3. Rodriguez will be the top returning runner for the Troopers with juniors Salma Licon, Sophia Watts and Andrea Limon, along with sophomore Giovanna Zubia also returning.
3. Montwood: Juniors Kassandra Jimenez and Jazmine Miranda will return next season for the Rams.
4. Jefferson: The Foxes are going to have to reload after losing all six of its top runners including four-year varsity and state runners Crystal Peterson and Monique Correa.
5. Coronado: The T-Birds, which finished its season 20th in the Region 1, Class 6A championship, will be loaded next fall with six of its top seven returning. Senior Banah Abdeljaber will be missed, but juniors Kyra Walker, Sonya Lee, Isabella Galindo and Christina Duncan will return along with super sophomores Alexa Lawrence and Caroline Pitchkolan. Watch from some great things from this group in 2022.
6. Pebble Hills: The Spartans were the surprise team of the season. All its runner will return in 2022 including the top three – junior Natalia Martinez, sophomore Carolina Zarrabal and freshman Krystal Talavera.
7. Canutillo: The Eagles finished 10th at the Region 1, Class 5A championship with 319 points. The team returns three of its top five including juniors Natalie Rivera, Dania Cano and Jennifer Najar.
8. Del Valle: After winning District 2-5A for the first time since 2010, the Conquistadores finished 15th at regionals. It looks like another rebuild is in order for Del Valle with only junior Valeria Loo-Kung and sophomore Bobbi Guillen returning from the team’s top five.
9. Americas: The Trailblazers season ended at district but freshman Lexee Salas finished 62nd in 20:38.3 at the Region 1-6A championship in Lubbock. Americas will lean on Salas and fellow freshman Natalie Tolliver in a very competitive District 1-6A.
10. Tornillo: The Coyotes made school history by winning their district, finishing fourth at the Region 1-3A Championship and advancing to its first ever state meet where they finished 11th. The team returns juniors Kylene Elias and Brianna Ibarra and sophomore Nataly Escajeda.
Dropped out: None.
On the brink: None.
Top times (3 mile or 5K)
1, Lauren Walls-Portillo, Eastwood, 17:17.6 (Woodbridge, 9/18).
2, Adelynn Rodriguez, Eastwood, 17:20.1 (Woodbridge, 9/18).
3, Kassandra Jimenez, Montwood, 18:28.29 (Mary Frances Keisling, 9/11)
4, Alyssa Laspada, Franklin, 18:30.07 (Southlake, 8/28).
5, Natalie Rivera, Canutillo, 18:52.86 (Clint, 10/2).
6, Pamela Ramirez, Burges, 18:59.11 (Del Valle, 8/28).
7, Jordan Torres, Franklin, 19:07.10 (Mary Frances Keisling, 9/11).
8, Natalia Martinez, Pebble Hills, 19:08.03 (Del Valle, 8/28).
9, Salma Licon, Eastwood, 19:10.4 (Woodbridge, 9/18).
10, Sophia Watts, Eastwood, 19:11.6 (Woodbridge, 9/18).
11, Jenna Saunders, Franklin, 19:22.86 (SAC, 10/2).
12, Abby Barraza, Franklin, 19:25.63 (Mary Frances Keisling, 9/11).
13, Crystal Peterson, Jefferson, 19:36.05 (Mae Simmons, 10/25).
14, Ana Rojas, Socorro, 19:38.94 (Mary Frances Keisling, 9/11).
15, Adalia Olmos, Eastwood, 19:41.07 (Del Valle, 8/28).
16, Alexa Rangel, Montwood, 19:51.64 (Mary Frances Keisling, 9/11).
17, Mia Rivera, Hanks, 19:53.20 (Shawver Park, 9/4).
18, Jazmine Miranda, Montwood, 19:57.39 (Mary Frances Keisling, 9/11).
19, Anisa Sanchez, Del Valle, 19:57.84 (Mary Frances Keisling, 9/11).
20, Kyra Walker, Coronado, 19:58.38 (Mary Frances Keisling, 9/11).
21, Carolina Zarrabal, Pebble Hills, 19:58.92 (Del Valle, 8/28).
22, Sofia Camacho, Franklin, 20:03.13 (Canutillo, 8/21).
23, Giselle Rubio, Eastlake, 20:03.35 (Mary Frances Keisling, 9/11).
24, Valeria Loo-Kung, Del Valle, 20:04.76 (Clint, 10/2).
25, Monique Correa, Jefferson, 20:06.17 (SAC, 10/2).
(number parenthesis indicate meets won):
1, Lauren Walls-Portillo, Eastwood, 74 (3).
2, Adelynn Rodriguez, Eastwood, 64 (1).
3, Pamela Ramirez, Burges, 63 (2).
3, Alyssa Laspada, Franklin, 63 (2).
5, Mia Rivera, Hanks, 52 (2).
6, Kassandra Jimenez, Montwood, 49 (2).
6, Crystal Peterson, Jefferson, 49.
8, Jordan Torres, Franklin, 47.
9, Natalie Rivera, Canutillo, 46 (2).
10, Jenna Saunders, Franklin, 42.
Natalia Martinez, Pebble Hills, 41 (1).
Samantha Ramirez, San Elizario, 39 (2).
Monique Correa, Jefferson, 39.
Anisa Sanchez, Del Valle, 39.
Valeria Loo-Kung, Del Valle, 31.
Kylene Elias, Tornillo, 29 (1).
Abby Barraza, Franklin, 29.
Alexa Rangel, Montwood, 27.
Disany Sandoval, Del Valle, 20.
Katelyn Montoya, San Elizario, 20.
Andrea Castillo, El Paso High, 17.
Madelyn Estrada, Mt. View, 17.
Sofia Camacho, Franklin, 16.
Carolina Zarrabal, Pebble Hills, 16.
Dania Cano, Canutillo, 15.
Olivia Garcia, Tornillo, 15.
Elizabeth Hernandez, Austin, 14.
Abigail Murillo, Bel Air, 13.
Ana Rojas, Socorro, 11.
Sofia Ramirez, El Paso High, 11.
Brooke McCune, Franklin, 10 (1).
Lexee Salas, Americas, 10.
Jaylee Levario, Bel Air, 10.
Osmary Vazquez, San Elizario, 10.
Olivia Elder, Franklin, 9.
Lauren Perez, Riverside, 9.
Jeanette Rivera, YWLA, 8.
Wendy Garcia, Tornillo, 7.
Camila Prieto, Jefferson, 7.
Sarah Lopez Touchy, Ysleta, 7.
Marcela Hernandez, Riverside, 6.
Alexa Lawrence, Coronado, 6.
Tessa Gibbons, Franklin, 6.
Brianna Ibarra, Tornillo, 6.
Adalia Olmos, Eastwood, 5.
Jennifer Najar, Canutillo, 5.
Mariah Martinez, Loretto, 5.
Sofia Hernandez, Jefferson, 5.
Salma Licon, Eastwood, 5.
Abigail Murillo, Bel Air, 5.
Natalie Franco, Pebble Hills, 4.
Kyra Walker, Coronado, 4.
Natalia Valdez, Chapin, 4.
Nataly Escajeda, Tornillo, 4.
Daniela Luna, Riverside, 4.
Jezarae Valenzuela, El Paso High 4.
Allison Perez, Coronado, 3.
Jazmine Miranda, Montwood, 3.
Mireyda Samer, Franklin, 3.
Alicia Chavez, YWLA, 3.
Giselle Rubio, Eastlake, 2.
Caroline Pitchkolan, Coronado, 2.
Sophia Watts, Eastwood, 2.
Ileana Maldonado, Clint, 2.
Hannah Martinez, Franklin, 2.
Ivy Lara, Canutillo, 2.
Ximena Holguin, San Elizario, 1.
Grace Kimble, Franklin, 1.
Amy Lozano, Burges, 1.
Ashley Hernandez, San Elizario, 1.